Reflection and Discussion Questions:
1. How does your/adult mental wellness impact student success?
2. What are your biggest social, emotional, mental health fears heading back to school in 2020?
3. What school mental health celebrations does your school/district have? These are critical and worthy of celebration.
4. What is your school/district already doing that is building strength and capacity for sustainable school mental health systems?
5. What do you see as some of the biggest areas of concern for school mental health in your district?
6. What evidence is your district using to evaluate school mental health needs of students, staff & families? What pieces of data would be helpful?
7. When your district is evaluating data, how are demographic pieces of data (gender, race, SES, etc) being used to drive culturally responsive decision-making (discipline, academic, attendance)?
8. Discipline issues can often times be dismissed as just “bad behavior” when in reality it can be an indicator of other issues based in trauma responses and mental illness. When evaluating your disciplinary protocols are they reflective of the evidence-based best practices such as restorative practices? How often is disciplinary data being evaluated especially using demographic data to be able to identify overrepresentation and address?
9. How can disciplinary practices impact the mental wellness of students, especially students of color?
10. How does your district address adult and student self-care and wellness?
11. What is your district’s suicide prevention and postvention plan?
12. What are the biggest needs for your district that would help improve and build school mental health capacity?
13. What are the barriers to getting those needs met?
14. How can you have the social, emotional, and mental health pulse of each student? (Think smarter not harder)
2. Equity Audit
3. Racial & Trauma Course, Book Studies, Etc. Coming soon- Like later today! Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know!
5. UNI Conference Questions
1. Tier One
2. Data Sources
6. Ruler- Yale
9. Midwest PBIS
11. PBIS World
13. Online SMH Academy (Self-care for the Educator, Basic SMH Literacy, Racial & Cultural Trauma, or Building Relationships with Students)